Well, now we’re in to December we’re officially allowed to start talking about Christmas! And Christmas is certainly a time when packaging really comes into its own – here are a few amazing packaging related facts about the festive season.
- Approximately 1 billion Christmas cards will either be sent or handed out in the UK – that’s 17 for every man, woman and child. So, when Christmas is done, remember to recycle as many as possible or use some of them to make gift tags for next year!
- Brits will cook more than 19,000 tonnes of turkey this Christmas and we’ll use over 3,000 tonnes of aluminium foil to wrap them and other food with over the festive period
- Around 25 million Christmas puddings will also be served up alongside the turkey. Pass the indigestion tablets…
- An extra 500 million aluminium drinks cans are sold each Christmas
- Talking of aluminium cans, recycling just 1 aluminium drink can save sufficient energy to run a set of Christmas tree lights for 2 hours!
- We will eat around 175 million mince pies, all carefully brought to us in clever protective packaging to keep these lovely creations in perfect condition.
- Around 8 million Christmas trees will take up residence indoors and then be covered in twinkly decorations and lights
- Card packaging used at Christmas could cover Big Ben almost 260,000 times
- In Britain alone we will use around 227,000 miles of Christmas wrapping paper, that’s nearly enough to stretch to the moon!
- Around 30% extra rubbish is generated over the Christmas period – so please recycle and reuse
As we know, Christmas is a hugely important occasion for the packaging industry and certainly for AirPack, and a time when our great products really get put to good use. But remember, let’s all be responsible and recycle and reuse as much as we possibly can. Have fun and enjoy this special time!
The Plastics Debate – Beware Simple Solutions to Complex ProblemsBy Richard • October 29th, 2020
Plastic is the focus of much negative attention at the moment with regard to the environment. In the rush to put all the blame on plastic however, we should be careful about coming up with simple solutions to complex problems.Read more...
Black Friday 2020By Richard • October 15th, 2020
Black Friday is now established as a firm part of the business calendar and is a major opportunity for e-commerce and high street stores to boost sales in the all-important run up to Christmas. Start planning now for an increase in orders.Read more...
54,000 Air-Filled Wonders!By Richard • July 8th, 2019
With the Wimbledon Championships now in the second week and seeing all those tennis balls being hit around the courts we got to thinking about those often overlooked and yet critical air-filled yellow balls. Inflatable stuff is what we’re all about, after all!Read more...
Back to blog